There are more than 5 important survival skills to know and apply. Given the many outdoor-related television shows and YOU Tube videos available, everybody is offering up what they think is important for surviving the wilderness.
While all these presentations help, it is still the time you take to answer the following 5 questions that can make or break your level of preparation and prevention for your next adventure.
Therefore, can you answer these questions with a resounding YES? More importantly, can you prove the answer before leaving on your next adventure?
Remember, it is one thing to learn about wilderness and outdoor survival skills; it is yet another to be conversant and practice the skills.
1) Can you build a shelter in less than an hour to minimize effort and conserve energy “for the seasonal activity?” Consider the equipment you have available and the surroundings in which you find yourself. And you have to decide when is enough, enough? The balance of shelter versus effort needs your attention.
2) What does it mean to stay found if assistance is needed along the trip? Daily, stories are heard and read where lost people kept moving and became ill/injured. Unless you are dangerous, stay in one place, stay found! Think through ways to alert rescuers from this base of operations. That is, of course, “your friends or family have set in motion your rescue if you do not report in according to plan.
3) What is the best signaling device for the location in which you are traveling should you need help immediately? The old stand-by is blowing your whistle. However, what if you need to signal an aircraft? Of the various devices available, take some time to learn which one or two would work best for your next adventure. Remember not all days are sunny, and help can arrive at night.
4) Can you start a fire within 30 minutes based on the conditions you will encounter along your trip? There are simple supplies you can bring with you to help. Check out how You can combine cotton balls, lint, and petroleum jelly to sustain a flame upon which you build a fire. And be aware of the resources around you!
5) What is the best way to obtain clean water along your trip if consumed water you are carrying is consumed? There are many ways in which to collect water. Break out your survival books and scan the ones linked to where you are going. Copy the ideas and carry them with you. And don’t underestimate the importance of water. Considering the conditions and your effort, you will need to replenish your body to keep you alert to what is happening within and around you.
If you wavered in any way answering these questions and are about to leave on your next adventure trip, get yourself to the next available survival workshop and learn and practice, and practice and learn answers to these questions.
Prevention is Queen; Preparation is King!